If something hot and spicy is what you are craving, Shiela’s Shishito Peppers in Asian Garlic Sauce is the perfect recipe for you today!
This Whip-It-Up-Wednesday check out Shiela Mehra’s Shishito Peppers in Asian Garlic Sauce which can be a great appetizer to all your parties and we are sure your guests would love this quick and delicious dish from the kitchen of The Girl That Made It All!
“If you have been to any trendy restaurants, you will notice Shishito Peppers on the menu. What are Shishito Peppers? It’s a Japanese sweet pepper that is harvested before it is ripe. But you still have to be careful because 1 out of every 10 peppers are spicy. It’s like the Russian roulette of peppers. Since it is has been gaining popularity, most grocery stores are starting to carry them.”
“I love them because they are a great appetizer and are quick to make. Most places blister them and season them with salt. I like to blister mine and serve it with an Asian garlic sauce. *Note – proper etiquette is to not eat the stems. Have an empty bowl close by to discard the stems.”
“Here is how I make them:”
- 1 lb Shishito peppers
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tbs butter
- ¼ – ½ cup ponzu sauce (you can find bottled ponzu near the soy sauce at the grocery store)
- We are going to blister the shishito peppers. You can do that on a grill or a pan.
- I prefer using a cast iron skillet. Heat up the skillet until it is very hot and then add your peppers. Make sure your peppers are dry or they won’t blister and you will end up steaming them.
- This is what your peppers will look like once they start to blister. After you have blistered your peppers, put them on a plate or serving bowl.
- Chop up your garlic cloves (If you are on a date, I don’t suggest making this on your first date. Maybe on your 5 or 6th).
- Let your pan cool or you will burn your butter. Melt butter in the cooled down cast iron pan.
- Add your garlic.
- Cook until your garlic starts to brown. Don’t overdo it or it will turn bitter.
- Add your Ponzu sauce. I eyeball it.
- Pour over your peppers and serve.
Not competent enough to sit idle and stare as the world goes by, Pallavi is optimistic to a fault and believes in building her world on her own rather than depending on others to make things right.