Another great recipe from the kitchen of The Girl That Made It All – Shiela Mehra. This one is especially for all you Thai and seafood lovers!
This Whip-it-up-Wednesday, check out this healthy and tasty Black Pepper Shrimp with Panang Quinoa from the kitchen of The Girl That Made It All and get set to gain some more fans for your food!
“I love Thai food. When I first moved to New Hampshire from New York, Thai food was the first thing that I missed. I would go back to New York to visit and go eat at my favorite Thai restaurant.”
“About 4 years ago, my husband decided to go vegan. He realized how hard it was going out with me and not finding vegan food. He then decided to switch to being a pescatarian. Since he wasn’t getting his full protein at home, we started eating a lot of quinoa. This recipe came to me since I wanted to add some flavor to the quinoa and I love Thai food. I also added shrimp to it so we had more protein.”
“This is how I make my Black Pepper Shrimp with Panang Quinoa:”
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup white quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tbs Panang paste (I prefer Maesri brand)
- 2 small pucks palm sugar (substitute 3 tbsp sugar if you do not have palm sugar)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs oil
- Add quinoa to a bowl and rinse. Rinse it a couple of times and set aside.
- Mix the coconut milk, water and salt. Add it to a saucepan and turn the heat to medium.
- Add quinoa, Panang paste, palm sugar and mixed vegetables. Give it a stir.
- Once it starts to boil, cover with a lid. Lower the heat to low.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed by quinoa.
- While the quinoa is boiling, we are going to make our shrimp.
- Add shrimp to a bowl and toss with black pepper.
- Set skillet on a stove and heat at medium.
- Melt butter and oil.
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook on one side for 3 minutes.
- Flip shrimp over and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with shrimp over quinoa.
Ready for some healthy lunch?