The holy month of Ramadan brings with it a fresh wave of festive cheer. Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar during which the ‘Quran’ was first revealed. Muslims around the world observe fasts to celebrate this month-long festival. Ramadan is a time of self-reflection to focus on the soul rather than the body and an opportunity to reconnect with your faith. Fasting, during this period, is seen as a way of instilling self-control. The day starts at the crack of dawn with a meal called ‘Suhoor’ or ‘Sehri’ meal and rounds off by breaking the fast after sunset, followed by an elaborate ‘Iftar’ meal. During the day, people abstain from consuming food or water.
For those staying alone, getting up early in the morning and making a meal for yourself may often seem difficult. So we bring you 10 healthy and delicious Sehri ideas that can be ready in under 10 minutes.
- Oatmeal with Chia and peanut butter or berries and chia.
- Toasted whole-grain bread with peanut butter and banana.
- Toasted whole-grain bread with Hummus and spinach and red chili flakes.
- Boiled eggs over spinach with spicy brown mustard and a side of whole-grain toast.
- Greek yogurt with berries and granola.
- Pesto and egg scramble on toast topped with grated Parmesan.
- Sunnyside up topped with Salsa and shredded cheese over toasted whole grain.
- Avacado mash over toasted whole grain. Top with pickled onions, eggs, or red chili flakes.
- Spinach, frozen banana, berries, and Milk of your choice smoothie.
- Savory oatmeal (quick oats or overnight is your choice) Add white cheddar or sharp cheddar with a bit of milk and stir with the oatmeal. Add diced onion and your choice of peppers. Top with a fried egg.
Let us know if you have more ideas and we will add on!
Hira Zubair is a Pakistani born New Yorker living in Brooklyn. She dances her way through life, dreaming of a world without borders. Wanderlust, dancing, soul connections and gastronomy form the epitome of her human existence.