Who can say no to such deliciousness? Kababs are a staple favorite of all Desi households and with Shiela’s Easy-Peasy Chicken Seekh Kabab recipe, we bet you will be making this today!
This Whip-It-Up-Wednesday check out Shiela Mehra’s Easy-Peasy Chicken Seekh Kabab, an awesome main course from the kitchen of The Girl That Made It All!
“These kababs have become a staple in our family. They are so quick and easy to make. They don’t last more than a day in our house. I tend to use ground chicken breast but you can use any minced meat. When people eat it, they ask me how I made it. I tell them the secret ingredient is… softened butter. The butter serves to help keep the chicken breast moist by self-basting when cooking and it helps bind the meat without using breadcrumbs. Technically, I have 2 secret ingredients. The second one being dried, minced onion. It also helps with binding because the dried onions eat up all the moistness in the chicken. It adds an amazing flavor. Traditionally, seekh kababs are made on skewers (known as seekh) but since I don’t have the time or patience for that, I just shape them into logs.”
“Here is the recipe:”
- 1.5 lbs ground meat (I use chicken breast)
- 2 tbs butter, softened (DO NOT MELT)
- 1/4 cup minced, dry onion (you can find it in the spice aisle of your grocery store)
- 3 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1.5 tbsp garlic paste (If you don’t have, make paste out of 2 cloves garlic)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (If you don’t have, use 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 tsp red chili powder ( I prefer Kashmiri. It is less spicy and adds a better flavor. You can also substitute paprika if you don’t like spicy)
- 1.5 tsp garam masala (can be found in the spice aisle of your grocery store)
- 1-2 green chili, minced (optional)
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Place ground meat in a bowl.
- Make sure you dry any excess water from meat with a paper towel. This will keep your seekh kebabs from falling apart.
- Add all ingredients and mix. I like to use my hands.
- Once all ingredients have been incorporated, take a little bit of meat mixture and pan fry. I do this to make sure all seasonings are correct. Adjust if you need to.
- Once you have your seasonings set, shape into logs using your hands. If it sticks, add a little water to the palms of your hand to prevent sticking.
- Heat up the grill on high for 5 -10 minutes or use a grill pan. Lower heat to medium high and place seekh kebabs on grill/pan.
- Cook for approx. 10 minutes, turning as you go.
- It is cooked once there is no pink.
- Garnish with cilantro.
All set for dinner then?
Not competent enough to sit idle and stare as the world goes by, Pallavi is optimistic to a fault and believes in building her world on her own rather than depending on others to make things right.