South Asia has played host to some of the most bizarre and unusual food, ranging from food items that evoke a foul stench to ones that are topped with frog legs.
Here are some of the truly bizarre delicacies that South Asians love to indulge in:
1. Kapooray: This is basically cooked goat testicles! A speciality in Pakistan, this dish is revered by people who do not like to waste any part of the sacrificial animal.
2. Red Ants Chutney: Chaprah is a pungent chutney, made of red ants and their eggs. This tribal dish is famous in the Bastar region of India.
3. Eri Polu: This is a popular food ingredient in Assam and is basically the pupa of the Eri silkworm. Once the silk is extracted by boiling the cocoon in hot water, the leftover silkworm- the pupa- is prepared with Khorisa (bamboo shoot).
4. Snail Stew: A speciality from Nagaland, this particular dish is prepared in more than 15 variations according to the different tribes living in the state.
5. Frog Legs: Very popular in parts of eastern India, monsoons are awaited by people who relish the dish to catch hold of the juiciest frog!