You may be living in any corner of the world, but if you are a true Desi you must have had kheer or rice pudding as they call it here! Shiela Mehra’s Butter Pecan Rice Pudding recipe is quick, simple and to die for!
“The inspiration for this recipe came from my sister who called me up from NYC and said, “Can you open a place like Rice to Riches in Texas? I love the butter pecan rice pudding”. I might be paraphrasing but that was the essence of what she was asking. If you have never been to Rice to Riches, it is a place that serves many flavors of rice pudding. I decided to try and make her butter pecan rice pudding in the Instant Pot. I figured it would be an easy recipe since I wouldn’t have to watch milk over boiling on the stovetop.”
“Here is how I made it:”
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tbs butter
- Set Instant Pot to sauté, low.
- Once hot, melt butter in the pot. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Toss the pecans in the butter and cook until toasted. Do not burn. I did the first time I made it.
- Once done, take pecans out of the pot and set aside.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot.
- Add first 5 ingredients in the pot and stir.
- Close the lid and make sure the vent is set to closed.
- Press the porridge button. This should cook the rice pudding for about 20 minutes.
- When finished, natural release for 10 and then quick release.
- Once depressurized, open the lid and add heavy cream and vanilla.
- Mix pecans in.
- Rice pudding will thicken once it begins to cool.
- Serve either hot or cold.
Ah! Truly delish!
Not competent enough to sit idle and stare as the world goes by, Pallavi is optimistic to a fault and believes in building her world on her own rather than depending on others to make things right.