In this time of #stayhome #staysafe many are turning to cooking as a way of staying busy. Well we have a quick and easy recipe for our Whip It Up Wednesdays! You’ve heard of mashed potatoes, well we here present masala mashed potatoes!
Masala mashed potatoes are very easy to make and are infused with Indian spices. It can be served with paratha, naan or even dosa. It can also be used as filling for sandwiches and stuffed parathas or served as a side with rice and curry.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1. Seven medium size potatoes
2. One teaspoon cumin seeds
3. One teaspoon sliced ginger
4. One teaspoon roasted coriander powder
5. Half teaspoon red chilli flakes
6. Half teaspoon red chilli powder
7. Half teaspoon turmeric powder
8. Two green chillies slit into equal halves
9. Half teaspoon garam masala powder
10. Half cup cilantro (finely chopped)
11. Salt to taste
12. Two tablespoon oil/ghee/butter
13. One teaspoon sesame seeds(black/white) and cashews to garnish
1. Boil the potatoes in water
2. Drain and peel the potatoes
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium flame
4. Add red chilli flakes, cumin seeds, ginger, and green chilli
5. After one minute add roasted coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder
6. Roast for 30 seconds
7. Add potatoes and salt
8. Mash the potatoes in the saucepan using masher or fork
9. Cook for 10 minutes on medium flame and keep stirring
10. Add cilantro and cook for one more minute
11. Turn off the stoves
12. Garnish with sesame seeds, cilantro, and cashews
1. You can adjust the spice level as per taste by limiting the quantity of chilli powder, chilli flakes, and green chillies
2. To boil the potatoes – Boil in the saucepan for 10-15 minutes (until tender or they fall apart ) or four whistles in a pressure cooker.
Your delicious masala mashed potatoes are ready!
Shweta is an IT consultant and engineer by day. A cooking enthusiast, she loves experimenting with food. Usually found hooked to Netflix or crafting knick-knacks for home decor, over weekends.